Recommended prerequisite for participation in
The module adds to the knowledge obtained in the first three
semesters of the master programme.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have knowledge and comprehension within the field of the
specialization at the highest international level.
- Be able to critically evaluate knowledge and identify new
scientific problems within the field of the specialization.
- Have understanding of implications within the related research
area including research ethics.
- Independently explain choice of scientific theoretical and/or
- During the project and when finalising it make an independent
and critical estimation of the chosen theories and methods as well
as the analyses, results and conclusions.
- Be able to apply a wide range of engineering methods in
research and development in the field of specialization.
- Be able to communicate relevant scientific and professional
aspects of project work in a clear and systematic way both to
specialists and the public.
- Be able to work independently with a project on a specific
problem within the field of the specialization at the highest
- Independently be able to define and analyse scientific problems
and based on that make and state the reasons for the decisions
- Be competent to solve new and complicated technical problems by
the use of advanced mathematics, scientific and technological
- Be able to evaluate the progress of the project independently
and select and include additional literature, experiments or data
when needed in order to maintain a scientific basis for the
- Be able to control complex and unexpected working situations
and be able to develop new solutions.
- Must be able to communicate the results of the project work in
a project report.
Type of instruction
Project work with supervision supplemented with instructions,
workshops, presentation seminars, lab tests, etc.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 30 ECTS project module, the workload is
expected to be 900 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Master’s Thesis|
|Type of exam|
Master's thesis/final project
Oral exam based on presentation seminar and project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|