Content, progress and pedagogy of the
The main objective of this project module is to qualify the
student to analyse and evaluate one or more problems within the
field of physical geography. The project can comprise field
surveys, laboratory experiments, modelling and/or theoretical
problems. Emphasis in the project is on development of a strategy
for measuring and modelling of physical geography processes. The
project also aims to get the students to evaluate critically the
use of literature, measurements and models.
- Shall have knowledge on how numerical methods and experiments
methods complement each other and how to use experimental data to
improve models in the field of physical geography.
- Understand and which uncertainties are associated to each
method and how they can be analysed.
- Understand the physical, chemical and biological processes in
- Use the existing literature and theories to plan a literature
study and field and/or laboratory work within the field of physical
- Critically use a select models currently used in physical
- Independently explain choice of scientific theoretical and/or
experimental methods in relation to the aim of the study.
- Plan and carry out the measurement program for field and
- Make a critical estimation of the chosen theories and methods
as well as the analyses, results and conclusions.
- To select relevant theories and literature.
- Be able to combine, literature surveys, experimental data and
numerical methods to develop better models within the field of
- Communicate relevant scientific and professional aspects of
project work in a clear and systematic way.
- Present and communicate results in a web-based media.
- Must be able to contribute successfully to teamwork within the
problem area and make a common presentation of the result of the
Type of instruction
Project work with supervision supplemented with instruction,
workshops, presentation seminars, experimental work, etc.
Extent and expected workload
The projectmodule is 20 ECTS which is corresponding to
600 hours of study.
|Name of exam
|Advanced Methods in Physical Geography
|Type of exam
Oral exam based on a project
Oral exam based on presentation seminar and project
|7-point grading scale
|Type of grading
|Criteria of assessment
|The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures