Content, progress and pedagogy of the
The module addresses the ongoing transformation of the built
urban environment. The focus is on how to continually develop and
re-develop the built environment. The aim is to identify problems
and potentials in existing built environments and to develop
proposals for environmentally and socially responsible urban design
strategies and proposals.
Students who complete the module:
- Must have knowledge on environmentally and socially sustainable
urban design and the dynamics of the climate and its effects on the
- Must be able to understand and based on research reflect on
sustainable urban design methods and theories and thereby be able
to identify contemporary urban design issues.
- Must have knowledge of the fundamental principles of Problem
Based Learning (PBL) as implemented in the Aalborg PBL model at the
Faculty of IT and design.
- Must master a range of urban design theories, digital and
analogue tools and methods in order to develop and present an urban
design proposal that integrates engineering techniques and
architectural qualities into conceptual urban design.
- Must be able to evaluate and apply sustainable urban design
methods and theories as well as digital and analogue tools and
engineering knowledge in order to identify site-specific analytical
discoveries and urban design proposals.
- Must be able to communicate knowledge of sustainable urban
design in written, visual, spatial and verbal form to discuss and
present professional insights with peers and nonprofessionals.
- Must be able to structure project management activities based
on a well-formulated problem formulation
- Must be able to integrate technical, spatial, social,
environmental and aesthetic aspects to create a sustainable urban
- Must independently, and in collaboration with others, be able
to undertake professional responsibility and to initiate and
accomplish sustainable urban design tasks.
- Must be able to reflect on, plan and manage a study project in
a PBL learning environment.
Type of instruction
Types of instruction are listed in § 17; Structure and
contents of the programme.
|Name of exam
|Sustainable Urban Transformation
|Type of exam
Oral exam based on a project
|7-point grading scale
|Type of grading
|Criteria of assessment
|The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures