Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have attained thorough knowledge and understanding of a broad
range of theoretical, numerical and experimental techniques within
the area of specialization.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant theory, methodology, key
elements and their mutual contextual relations within the area of
- Be able to apply scientific theory and methodology to solve a
wide variety of problems within the field of specialization.
- Be able to perform scientific work in relevant topics within
the field of specialization.
- Be able to apply a wide range of engineering methods in
research and development projects in the field of
- Be able to participate in or lead projects in design, product
development, modelling and characterization within the field of
- Build a project report according to the field's norms, use
correct professional language, document extensive inclusion of
relevant original literature, communicate and discuss the
project's research-based basis and problem and results in a
written, graphic and oral manner in a coherent way.
- Critically evaluate the project's results in relation to
relevant original literature and current scientific methods, models
and evaluate and discuss the project's problem in relevant
technical scientific context.
- Perspective and assess the project's potential for further
- Identifying, formulating and analysing actual problems using
independent, systematic and critical thinking.
- Relating a problem to the scientific area in question and
justify the choices made with regards to the problem definition in
a relevant way.
- Independently making and justifying the choice of scientific
theoretical and/or experimental methods.
- The ability to independently work on a project and apply
critical thinking to evaluate both the chosen theory and
methodology, as well as to evaluate the analysis and results.
- Presenting relevant academic and professional aspects of the
project work in a clear and systematic way.
- Be able to take part in technical development and research
- Be able to direct the technical management of development
projects within the industry.
- Be competent to solve new and complicated technical problems by
the use of advanced mathematics, scientific and technological
knowledge and skills.
- Perform planning, implementation and management of complex and
unpredictable research and / or development tasks and assume a
professional responsibility for completing independent academic
tasks as well as interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Independently take responsibility for own professional
development and specialization.
Type of instruction
In this module, the Master’s Thesis is carried out. The module
constitutes independent project work and concludes the programme.
Within the approved topic, the Master’s Thesis must document that
the level for the programme has been attained.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 50 ECTS project module the expected workload is
1500 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Master’s Thesis|
|Type of exam|
Master's thesis/final project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|