Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have attained thorough understanding of a broad range of
theoretical, numerical and experimental techniques within the area
- Thorough knowledge of relevant theory, methodology, key
elements and their mutual contextual relations within the area of
- Explain the scientific basis and scientific issues within the
- Explain the highest international research in the field of
- Be able to apply scientific methodology to solve a wide variety
of problems within the field of specialization.
- Be able to perform scientific work in relevant topics within
the field of specialization.
- Be able to apply a wide range of engineering methods in
research and development projects in the field of
- Be able to participate or lead projects in mechanical system
design, product development, modelling and analysis within the
field of specialization.
- Master the scientific methods and general skills related to the
field of specialization.
- Compose a project report according to the field's norms,
use correct professional language, document extensive inclusion of
relevant original literature, communicate and discuss the
project's research-based basis and problem and results in a
written, graphic and oral manner in a coherent way.
- Critically evaluate the project's results in relation to
relevant original literature and current scientific methods, models
and evaluate and discuss the project's problem in a relevant
technical scientific context.
- Assess and put the project's potential into perspective for
- Identifying, formulating and analysing industrially relevant
problems using independent, systematic and critical thinking.
- Relating a problem to the scientific area in question and
justify the choices made with regards to the problem definition in
a relevant way.
- Be able to work independently with a project on a specific
problem within their field of interest on the highest possible
level within their specialization.
- Be able to take part in technical research and
- Be able to direct the technical management of development
projects within the industry.
- Be competent to solve new and complicated technical problems by
the use of advanced mathematics, scientific and technological
- Participate in and independently carry out technological
development and research, as well as solve complex tasks using
- Perform planning, implementation and management of complex and
unpredictable research and / or development tasks and assume a
professional responsibility for completing independent academic
tasks as well as interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Independently take responsibility for own professional
development and specialization.
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 60 ECTS project module we expect the workload is
The master thesis can be conducted as a long master thesis. If
choosing to do a long master thesis, it has to include experimental
work and has to be approved by the study board. The amount of
experimental work must reflect the allotted ECTS.
|Name of exam||Master's Thesis|
|Type of exam|
Master's thesis/final project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|