Content, progress and pedagogy of the
All students must be introduced to proper use of scientific
methods. This project module therefore separate learning objectives
for scientific methods.
- Must have knowledge about the analysis of complex problems and
the design of secure distributed solutions for such problems.
- Must have knowledge about the analysis implementation, with a
focus on the security aspects.
- Must have knowledge about IoT and mobile devices, and how to
securely integrate them in distributed solutions.
- Must have knowledge about open source and commercial tools and
frameworks and how to select between them, considering the security
- Must have knowledge about privacy and security by design
- Must have knowledge about scientific methods and their
applicability in ICT engineering.
- Must have knowledge about main scientific paradigms and their
applicability for different problems.
- Must know methods for the iterative development and refining of
project ideas and problem formulations .
- Must know methods for quantitative data gathering, data
analysis and data presentation, e.g.interview techniques for expert
- Must know the consequences of plagiarism.
- Must be able to understand when to apply a distributed system
solution to a problem.
- Must be able to develop such solution in a secure way.
- Must be able to understand the different problems and
advantages related to distributed computing, such as
synchonization, scalability, etc.
- Must be able to select the appropriate communication channels,
considering security as one of the important deciding
- Must be able to extract scientific knowledge from academic
publications, e.g. journal papers, conference procesdings and
- Must be able to master good academic praxis for the use and
presentation of sources.
- Must be able to discern between inductivism, models vs.
reality, hypothesis, empirical data, assumptions and proofs for a
given research problem within the scope of the study
- Must be able to explain the applicability for qualitative
methods for a given ICT engineering problem.
- Must be able to conduct a structured search for sources, e.g.
- Must be able to assess the quality and applicability of a given
source (e.g. peer-reviewed / non peer-reviewed sources, industry
whitepapers, interviews, marketing texts)
- Must have the competencies in identifying the privacy and
security concerns in a distributed system
- Must have the competencies in identifying and combining a wide
range of IoT, mobile devices, and technologies in order to analyse
and implement advanced distributed solutions for complex
- Must have the competency to identify and apply relevant
scientific methods in relation to ICT engineering problems and
- Must have the competency to structure an academic presentation
of project (e.g. semester project) in a report
- Must master the principles for correct academic
Type of instruction
|Name of exam||Distributed Systems Security|
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|