Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Different types of research problems
- The design requirements of high-quality scientific research,
using two chief methodologies and underlying variants:
- Case research, including the design of traditional case
studies, action research/collaborative research and studies based
on design theory/design thinking.
- Survey research, including the design of questionnaires and
research using external databases.
- Epistemological positions in engineering/management research,
- The role of epistemology in engineering/management
- The most important epistemological approaches.
- Challenges related to inter- and transdisciplinary
- The typical acceptance criteria conferences and journals have
for papers/presentations and articles, respectively.
- Design high-quality and publishable scientific research
- Design high-quality conference papers, presentations and
- Designing a research project in terms of developing/choosing
and accounting for:
- The research problem(s) and its relevance
- Hypotheses, propositions, research model, analytical
- Operationalization of the research constructs.
- Data collection methods, sources and storing.
- Data validation methods.
- Data analysis methods and criteria.
- Research limitations, including unit of analysis and its
context, and method(s)
- Research schedule and contingency plan
- Identifying outlets (conferences, journals) and developing a
- Designing high-quality conference papers, journal articles and
other forms of communication, including presentations and working
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS course module the expected workload is 150
hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Research Design and -Communication|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|