Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have gained comprehensive understanding of modelling and
characterization within materials technology.
- Be able to choose a material or material system for a given
- Be able to demonstrate understanding of the microstructure of
the material or material system and its influence on the desired
- Be able to give a critical evaluation of the methods applied
for determining and/or modelling the microstructure, chemical
composition or mechanical and other properties.
- Be able to compare and validate theoretical, numerical and
- Compose a project report according to the norms of the
scientific field, include relevant original literature, use correct
academic language and communicate the project's research-based
basis and problem and results in a coherent written and oral
manner, including the connection between the problem formulation,
the project's execution and the main conclusions.
- Evaluate and select relevant original literature and current
scientific methods, models and other tools used in the project
work, as well as assess the project's problem in relevant
technical scientific context.
- Be able to devise an experimental method and a numerical model
to falsify or validate a given hypothesis.
- Be able to use advanced experimental and numerical techniques
within the field of materials technology.
- Be able to apply the background theory and the insight
obtained, for validation of the material choice for a given
- Plan, implement and manage complex and unpredictable research
and / or development tasks and assume a professional responsibility
for conducting professional and interdisciplinary
- Take responsibility for own academic development and
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 15 ECTS project module the expected workload is
450 hours for the student.
Prerequisite for enrollment for the exam
- An approved PBL competency profile is a prerequisite for
participation in the project exam.
|Name of exam||Modelling and Characterization within Materials
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|