Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have knowledge and understanding of project organized problem
- Have knowledge about group work/conflicts and ways to solve
- Have knowledge and comprehension of planning and structuring
the documentation of a project.
- Have knowledge and understanding of central concepts, theories,
and methods concerning theory of elasticity.
- Have knowledge and understanding of the governing conditions
and equations to be fulfilled in any linear elastic continuum
subjected to static loads.
- Have knowledge and understanding of central concepts and
theories concerning the finite element method.
- Have knowledge and understanding of central terms and governing
equations for a linear static finite element problem.
- Have knowledge and comprehension of the basic features of
MATLAB as a programming language.
- Be able to apply the project organized learning to actual
problem related work in groups of up to 6 persons.
- Be able to apply systematic methods within the topics of this
- Be able to apply index notation and tensor calculus to manage a
linear elastic mechanical problem.
- Be able to account for considerations related to the use of
concepts, theories, and methods from the finite element method in
- Be able to use the basic computational facilities of
- Independently be able to define and analyse scientific
- Be able to design, code, and debug a program in
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS course module the expected workload is 150
hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Problem-based Learning, Theory of Elasticity and the Finite
Element Method, MATLAB|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|
For students without a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering and
Manufacturing from Aalborg University (INTRO