Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have gained an in-depth understanding of theoretical and
experimental determination of the stress and deformation states
occurring in a structural element when carrying a mechanical
- Have attained an understanding for methods of analysis and
experimental methods and the characteristics of their applications
- Be able to set up the governing equations for the theory of
- Be able to demonstrate the properties of the strain and stress
- Be able to account for the implementation and practical use of
the analytical, numerical, and experimental methods applied in the
- Be able to give a critical evaluation of the methods applied
for stress and deformation analyses and the results obtained.
- Be able to use correct terminology.
- Be able to compare theoretical and experimental results.
- Be able to critically evaluate applied methods and their
- Be able to analyze a load carrying element on the basis of
model considerations, using continuum mechanics, and by applying
numerical methods including the finite element method.
- Be able to investigate the behavior of a structural element
under mechanical loading with experimental techniques such as
strain gauges and digital image measurement techniques.
- Be able to compare theoretical and experimental results
carefully, and critically evaluate the methods applied and the
- Be able to apply the background and the insight obtained, on
intuitive design optimization, and suggest geometrical changes or a
redesign including change of material.
Type of instruction
The module is carried out as group-based problem-oriented
project work. The group work is carried out as an independent work
process in which the students themselves organize and coordinate
their workload in collaboration with a supervisor. The project is
carried out in groups with normally no more than 6 members.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 15 ECTS course module the expected workload is 450
hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Stress and Deformation Analyses of Load Carrying Structural
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|