Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module builds on knowledge obtained in the modules Stochastic
Processes and Distributed Real Time Systems
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Must have knowledge about the network planning process,
including the planning of backbone, distribution and access
networks, and of the tools involved in this process.
- Must have knowledge of network topologies and structural
quality of service.
- Must have knowledge of GIS data and handling of these.
- Must have knowledge about localization techniques.
- Must have knowledge about advanced queuing models, including
matrix analytical and matrix exponential models
- Must be able to understand simple and advanced traffic and
queuing models, and apply these in analysis of real-life traffic
- Must be able to apply the knowledge of advanced traffic and
queuing models in performance analysis based on simulation as well
- Must be able to create realistic traffic models, based on
knowledge on the behavior of relevant components including users
and applications and/or on knowledge of existing traffic.
- Must be able to apply knowledge of network planning tools and
methods in a concrete project of limited scale.
- Must be able to select the appropriate queuing and traffic
models to be used in the modeling of a specific system.
Type of instruction
Types of instruction are listed at the start of §17; Structure
and contents of the programme.
|Name of exam||Network Performance and Applications|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|