Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
Students holding a bachelor degree from another university than
Aalborg University must pass the course Problem Based Learning and
Project Management at Aalborg University, prior to sitting the
The module builds on knowledge gained in the modules Numerical
Methods, Fluid Mechanics and Computational Fluid Dynamics, Building
Related Fluid Mechanics or similar.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
Students who complete the module:
- Must understand the theoretical and experimental assessment of
heat, mass, and momentum transfer in ventilated enclosures.
- Must understand the relationship between the thermal comfort,
indoor air quality and health issues and the heat, mass and
momentum transfer in the micro-environment of a human
- Must be able to develop and perform model and/or full-scale
experiments related to fluid flow and contaminant transport in
- Must be able to measure, evaluate and further develop various
flow elements for typical room air distribution systems.
- Must be able to perform CFD simulations in ventilation settings
including the establishment of proper boundary conditions.
- Must have the ability to design and evaluate different types of
air distribution systems in a room and in a building.
- Must be able to identify and discuss the optimal solution for
an air distribution system based on theory and/or experiments
- Must be able to perform and reflect on experiments related to
personal exposure assessment and contaminant transport
- Must be able to communicate the results of the project work in
a project report
- Must be able to contribute successfully to teamwork within the
problem area and make a common presentation of the result of the
Type of instruction
Project work with supervision supplemented with instructions,
workshops, presentation seminars, lab tests, etc.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 15 ECTS project module, the workload is expected
to be 450 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Ventilation, Airflow and Contaminant Transport in
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
Oral exam based on presentation seminar and project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|