Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module is based on knowledge achieved in the project module
Control systems and microprocessor based systems or similar.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have insight on the modeling of a system and the
computational aspects in hardware and software needed to implement
- Have insight on how to implement digital communication within
the components of a cyber-physical system using libraries
- Be able to understand how to use discrete time to model the
cyber or computational part and continuous time to model the
- Be able to understand basic concepts in operating systems,
concurrency, finite state machines or flow charts to design the
software of a cyber-physical system
- Be able to understand the effect of the HW components and SW
algorithms on the overall performance of a cyber-physical
- Be able to understand and create a business case for the
- Energy digital auditing and sensor placement in energy assets
for predictive control maintenance
- Be able to design cyber-physical systems that
include digital controllers, their algorithms and their
implementation in HW and SW
- Be able to simulate parts or the whole of a cyber-physical
system using data-flow based tools such as Matlab Simulink,
Labview, Microprocessors and industrial platform software’s.
- Be able to design and implement the SW of a
cyber-physical system using high-level computer languages and
- Be able to implement the interface of a cyber-physical system
to the physical world using ADC, DAC, microprocessor systems,
sensors and actuators
- Be able to use a cyber-physical systems approach to design,
implement and solve an engineering problem in industry 4.0, IoT,
robotics or within the energy sector and power electronics.
- Be able to make a cost-benefit analysis of the cyber-physical
- Be able to design a cyber-physical system in a professional
- Be able to perform real-time analysis and programming of the
- Be able to evaluate the basic economic conditions for the
development and commissioning of the cyber-physical
Type of instruction
Problem based and project oriented work in project groups.
Some lectures are given in business economy to support the
objectives in this area.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 15 ECTS project module, the work load is expected
to be 450 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Cyber-Physical Systems|
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
Oral examination with external examiner based on a presentation of
the project report.
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|