Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module adds to the knowledge obtained in the 1st Semester.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Must have knowledge of computer architecture classification
- Must have knowledge about typical scientific computing problems
with non-real-time constraints.
- Must have knowledge of parallel computing techniques.
- Must have knowledge of the relation between physical world
problems and mathematical models.
- Must have knowledge of different computational platforms for
different types of scientific computing problems.
- Must know how to formulate own competences related to
- Must be able to select suitable hardware platforms for
different computational problems.
- Must be able to program solutions for scientific computing
problems by use of various computational platforms (single and
multi-core processing units, graphics processing units, compute
- Must be able to debug and performance optimize (e.g., time
and/or memory consumption) the developed software.
- Must be able to use various computing platforms to solve
different scale computational problems.
- Document the developed software including validation of the
- Can reflect over own use of PBL methods and how these methods
can be used in the future projects and work situations.
- Must be able to to solve problems where scientific computing is
- Using the above mentioned knowledge and skills, the student
must be able to identify, prioritize, and apply in a structured
manner the set of tasks needed for solving a scientific computing
problem, which in its solution naturally involves or require
high-performance simulation capabilities.
- The student must be able to create and plan the work and
development processes as needed for solving systematically such a
- The student must be able to select the most appropriate project
management method(s) and tool(s) for solving the problem.
- Must be able to initiate the above mentioned task
independently, critically, and responsibly.
Type of instruction
As described in § 17.
Prerequisite for enrollment for the exam
- An approved PBL competency profile is a prerequisite for
participation in the project exam
|Name of exam||Scientific Computing|
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|