Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Must have knowledge about general network models and
architectures including the OSI model (MAC, transport, network and
application layers) as well as the TCP/IP protocol stack (IP, TCP
and UDP protocols).
- Must have knowledge about selected technologies within Internet
of Things (IoT), including wireless sensors, wireless sensor
networks and RFID, and their application within IoT.
- Must have knowledge of simulation tools.
- Must have knowledge of protocols for unicast, multicast and
- Must be able to understand the OSI model and the TCP/IP
protocol stack at such a level that they are able to model selected
data link, network, transport, and application layer
- Must be able to monitor and observe traffic from different
networks, and to use the observations for creating simple traffic
models that can be used for simulations.
- Must be able to describe and evaluate basic security
- Must be able to select and compare methods for traffic
engineering at data link, network and transport layers: in
particular the students must be able to understand how Quality of
Service mechanisms are actually implemented through e.g. marking
and queuing policies.
- Must be able to understand the RFID and Sensor networking and
protocols at such a level that they are able to model selected
parts of such protocols.
- Must be able to apply relevant methods for designing services
and applications based on RFID and wireless sensor
- Must be able to compare different network technologies and
configurations by selecting and using appropriate methods,
including analysis, simulation and experiments.
- Must have understanding of the scenarios where IoT can be
applied, both from technical and business viewpoints, identifying
possible new services and applications.
- Must have understanding of a network’s topology and its
topological properties and qualities.
Type of instruction
Types of instruction are listed at the start of §17; Structure
and contents of the programme.
|Name of exam||Communicatino Networks and Ambient Intelligence|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|