Content, progress and pedagogy of the
Students who complete the module:
- On fundamental soil
- On soil texture and structure, physical and chemical phase
distribution (solids, water, air), pore-size distribution, water
retention, hydraulic conductivity, soil-water sorptivity,
unsaturated zone water transport, gas diffusion and chemical
transport, sorption and biodegradation.
- On the basic principle of 1D analytical and numerical water and
contaminant transport modelling.
- On evaluating the uncertainty of measured data and model
- To measure soil hydraulic properties in the laboratory.
- To apply parameter models for water retention, hydraulic
conductivity, gas diffusion, and chemical dispersion to measured
data or as predictive tools.
- To program and apply analytical and simple numerical water and
solute transport models to measured data or in risk
- To apply relevant geostatistical methods to measured data in
the soil and groundwater zones.
- To perform preliminary risk assessment and evaluate the
conditions for on-site or in-situ clean-up methods for contaminated
- To structure and produce technical documentation of complex
problems, methods and results.
- To communicate problems, findings and solutions graphical as
well as oral to the relevant target audience.
Type of instruction
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops,
presentation seminars, lab tests.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS project module, the workload is expected to
be 150 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Environmental Soil Science and Geostatistics|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
Individual oral or written exam
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|