Forudsætninger/Anbefalede forudsætninger for
at deltage i modulet
The module builds on knowledge gained in the course module in
Structural Mechanics or similar.
Modulets indhold, forløb og pædagogik
Students who complete the module:
- Should have basic knowledge about fracture mechanics analysis
in order to establish criteria for crack initiation and crack
- Should have knowledge about application of fracture mechanics
in engineering applications.
- Should have knowledge about models for analysis of fatigue i.e.
models for crack growth and influence of loading sequences.
- Should have knowledge about application of fatigue analysis in
- Should understand the stress and strain variations near a crack
- Should understand and be able to perform quantitative and
qualitative analysis of stress intensity factors.
- Should understand the crack driving force based on energy
- Should understand the influence of plasticity in the fracture
- Should understand the basic models for crack growth.
- Should understand different scenarios in fatigue analysis e.g.
stress or strain driven, low- or high cycle fatigue.
- Should understand and be able to use methods for analysis of
stress variations (e.g. Rain-Flow counting).
- Should understand and be able to use Palmgren-Miners damage
- Should be able to calculate the lifetime of welded
- Use correct professional terminology
- Should be able to participate in analysis of risk of fracture
in engineering structures and in a dialog on structural
modifications in order to reduce the risk of fracture.
- Should be able to model, calculate and communicate fatigue
analysis of welded structures and participate in a dialog of
fatigue analysis of other structural components.
Type of instruction
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops,
presentation seminars, lab tests
Omfang og forventet arbejdsindsats
The module is 5 ECTS which is corresponding to 150 hours of
|Prøvens navn||Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue|
Skriftlig eller mundtlig
Individual oral or written exam. Exam format is decided on by start
|Vurderingskriterier||Vurderingskriterierne er angivet i Universitetets