Forudsætninger/Anbefalede forudsætninger for
at deltage i modulet
The module builds on knowledge corresponding to the 1st semester.
Modulets indhold, forløb og pædagogik
Students who complete the module:
- Should have basic knowledge about non-linear effects in
structural response, i.e. influence of large displacements,
plasticity or other non-linear material behavior and dynamic
- Should have knowledge about advanced structural analysis and
its applications in engineering.
- Should have knowledge about non-linear behavior of thin-walled
structures i.e. buckling and postbuckling behavior and influence of
- Should have knowledge of modelling joints in structures linear
as well as non-linear.
- Should have knowledge about non-linear Finite Element analysis
of thin-walled structures.
- Should be able to formulate a mechanical/mathematical model for
structures behaving non-linearly.
- Should be able to formulate geometrically non-linear models for
thin-walled structures involving buckling, postbuckling and
- Should be able to estimate the stability load for simplified
thin-walled structures based on analytical models.
- Should be able to formulate mechanical/mathematical models for
joints in structures e.g. flexible joints in frame structures.
- Should have sufficient background to choose an appropriate
numerical model i.e. type of element and type of non-linear
- Should be able to analyze a structure/structural component by a
non-linear Finite Element code.
- Should be able to verify the numerical results from Finite
Element calculations by analytical models or other simplified
- Should be able to interpret the results from a non-linear
Finite Element calculation.
- Should be able to participate in non-linear analysis of
engineering structures and participate in a dialog on structural
modifications in order to improve the structural response.
- Should be able to model and analyze thin-walled structures with
geometric non-linear behavior and participate in a dialog of
non-linear analysis of other structures.
Type of instruction
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops,
presentation seminars, lab tests.
Omfang og forventet arbejdsindsats
The module is 15 ECTS which is corresponding to 450 hours of
|Prøvens navn||Advanced Structural Engineering|
Skriftlig eller mundtlig
Individual oral or written exam. Exam format is decided on by start
|Vurderingskriterier||Vurderingskriterierne er angivet i Universitetets