Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module builds on knowledge gained on 1st semester.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
Students who complete the module:
- Must have knowledge about design rules for marine structures
including methods for deterministic and probabilistic assessment of
loads on marine structures.
- Must have knowledge about analytical, numerical and
experimental methods for investigation of marine and geotechnical
- Must be able to perform a marine and geotechnical site
assessment and a design basis.
- Must be able to apply advanced numerical and experimental
methods for analysis and assessment of loads and geotechnical
response of marine structures.
- Must be able to compare and evaluate limitations and
uncertainties related to simple and advanced methods for estimation
of environmental load as well as geotechnical bearing capacity and
- Must be able to evaluate the safety by application of
probabilistic methods for assessment of loads and bearing capacity
of marine structures.
- Must be able to apply proper terminology in oral, written and
graphical communication and documentation of problems and solutions
within marine structures.
- Must have an overview of design aspects related to marine
- Must be able to communicate the results of the project work in
a project report.
- Must be able to contribute successfully to teamwork within the
problem area and make a common presentation of the result of the
Type of instruction
Project work with supervision supplemented with instructions,
workshops, presentation seminars, lab tests, etc.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 15 ECTS project module, the workload is expected
to be 450 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||The Excitation and Foundation of Marine Structures|
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
Individual oral exam based on presentation seminar and project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination
Policies and Procedures|