Forudsætninger/Anbefalede forudsætninger for
at deltage i modulet
Students holding a bachelor degree from another university than
Aalborg University must pass the module Problem Based Learning and
Project Management at Aalborg University, prior to sitting the
The module builds on knowledge gained in the courses Structural
Mechanics and Dynamics, Material Modelling in Civil Engineering,
Fluid and Water Wave Dynamics or similar.
Modulets indhold, forløb og pædagogik
Students who complete the module:
- Know fundamental theories and methods for analysis of
structures subject to static loads.
- Understand the behaviour of structures subject to static
loading regarding their deformation.
- Understand the solution procedure in Finite Element Analysis of
linear elastic static problems.
- Understand methodology for design of experiments and test
series and for reduction of ambiguity of experimental results, and
for comparability with model predictions.
- Understand elementary and advanced quantification tools, and
their application to validation between model and experiment
- Have a basic knowledge and understanding of experimental work,
including test planning, test conduction, different types of test
equipment, modelling of uncertainties and comparison of model and
test results using statistical methods.
- Use the correct terminology for structural analysis and
- Be able to apply analytical solution methods based on continuum
mechanics for selected static problems.
- Be able to develop and implement a Finite Element software code
for analysis of a selected simple structure subject to static
- Be able to use a commercial Finite Element code for analysing a
given static structural problem.
- Be able to plan and set up a test for determining basic
- Be able to plan and set up a test for finding the strength and
stiffness of a given structure.
- Be able to perform a probabilistic study of the experimental
data in order to quantify the influence of individual
- Be able to scrutinize a model (analytical or numerical) for
comparison with an appropriate experimental study.
- Be able to perform a probabilistic study of the model in order
to quantify the level of confidence.
- Be able to count for the level of coherence between test
results and model predictions.
- Be able to identify invalid data (outliers).
- Be able to account for common errors and limitations in the
processing of model data of experimentally obtained data.
- Be able to select appropriate analysis methods for a given
structural problem, including analytical, numerical and
experimental analysis methods.
- Be able to compare results obtained from different analysis
methods and be able to judge the quality of the results.
- Be able to undertake experiment planning and execution for
refinement and validation (or rejection) of model-based predictions
of phenomena within structural and civil Engineering.
- Be able to quantify errors associated with different types of
analysis and evaluate the methods regarding assumptions and
- Must be able to communicate the results of the project work in
a project report.
- Must be able to contribute successfully to teamwork within the
problem area and make a common presentation of the result of the
Type of instruction
Project work with supervision supplemented with instructions,
workshops, presentation seminars, lab tests, etc.
Omfang og forventet arbejdsindsats
The module is 10 ECTS which is corresponding to 300 hours
|Prøvens navn||Stiffness Analysis of Load-Bearing Structures|
Mundtlig pba. projekt
Individual oral exam based on presentation seminar and project
|Vurderingskriterier||Vurderingskriterierne er angivet i Universitetets