Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
This module is based on knowledge gained in Materials
Characterization and Solid Mechanics with Microstructure.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have gained an understanding of the chemical structure and
morphology of polymers and their relations to polymer
- Attain knowledge on the interdependency between structure,
morphology and thermomechanical treatments
- Attain knowledge about selected polymerization processes
- Have gained an understanding of the different types of polymer
composite materials, their manufacturing methods and theories for
modelling at fiber-, laminae and laminate scale
- Be able to grasp different polymerization principles.
- Be able to model the kinetics of polymerization
- Be able to apply concepts, theories and methods for analysis
and design of composite materials.
- Be able to characterize polymers through rheometric
- Be able to understand the relation between processing
conditions and subsequent material properties of polymer and
- Be able to undertake development and product design using
polymers and composite materials.
- Be able to develop procedures for production and verification
of components made from polymer and composite materials.
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS course module the expected workload is
150 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Polymers and Polymer Composites|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination