Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module adds to the knowledge obtained in 1st Semester.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have gained an in-depth understanding of important concepts and
methods of optimization for efficient solution of optimization
problems within different areas of engineering, including design
optimization of mechanical systems.
- Be able to use optimization concepts and topics.
- Be able to use numerical methods of unconstrained
- Be able to use numerical (mathematical programming) methods for
optimization of multi-dimensional functions with constraints.
- Be able to solve multicriterion optimization problems.
- Be able to apply other methods of optimization, such as integer
problems, response surface methods, genetic algorithms, etc.
- Be able to perform general applications of optimization
methods: parameter identification, optimization as an analysis tool
for problems governed by an extremum principle, surrogate and
- Be able to apply the concepts, theories and methods for
solution of engineering optimization problems.
- Be able to account for the considerations involved in the
process of formulating and modeling an engineering optimization
problem, choosing an advantageous method of solution, and
implementing it in practice.
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS course module the expected workload is 150
hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Engineering Optimization – Concepts, Methods and
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|