To provide an understanding of semiconductor properties, principles of operation of important semiconductor components as well as knowledge about methods of synthesis of semiconductor materials and basic technologies towards device fabrication.
• Crystalline structure and specific properties of
• Electronic band structure of semiconductors, both intrinsic and doped onces, as well as statistics and dynamics of charge carriers
• Characteristics of basic components including pn junctions, bipolar transistors, metal-oxide-semiconductor components and devices for power electronics
• Basic methods and technologies for fabrication of semiconductor devices
The student should be able:
• to explain and use theory and methods describing properties of
semiconductors, including crystal structure, electronic
characteristics of intrinsic and doped semiconductors as well as
statistics and dynamics of charge carriers
• to explain properties and characteristics of basic semiconductor-based components as well as technologies used for fabrication of semiconductor devices.
The student should develop and strengthen the knowledge about properties of semiconductors as well as basic principles and technologies behind the semiconductor-based devices. The student should be able to give reasons and arguments based on the concepts of semiconductor physics and technology.
Lectures with exercises.
This is a 5 ECTS course module and the work load is
expected to be 150 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Semiconductors: Physics, Devices and Engineering|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination Policies and Procedures|
|Danish title||Halvledere: fysik, komponenter og teknologi|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Location of the lecture||Campus Aalborg|
|Responsible for the module|
|Study Board||Study Board of Mathematics, Physics and Nanotechnology|
|Department||Department of Mathematical Sciences|
|Faculty||Faculty of Engineering and Science|