Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module adds to the knowledge obtained in Fundamental
Hydraulics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Of key components of freshwater ecosystems.
- Of relevant theory for physical, chemical and biological
processes in freshwater ecosystems.
- Of dominant anthropogenic types of pollution affecting
- Shall be able to differentiate between major types of streams,
rivers and lakes.
- Shall be able to understand the exchange of matter between
aquatic and terrestrial environments.
- Shall be able to explain lake and river ecosystem dependence on
light, temperature, nutrients and organic matter.
- Shall be able to understand primary production, respiration and
re-oxidation in freshwater ecosystems.
- Shall be able to determine the significance of hydraulic
conditions on chemical and biological dynamics in lakes and
- Shall be able to analyse oxygen dynamics in freshwater
- Shall be able to analyse impacts of pollution on biotic
- Shall be able to use existing pollution indicators for running
waters and lakes to assess the pollution of a given location.
- Shall be able to account for current river and lake restoration
- Work with and analyze biological communities in relation to
nutrient dynamics and organic matter cycling in lake and river
- Describe important organic and inorganic pollutants and
pollution effects in freshwater ecosystems.
- Evaluate methods to prevent and alleviate anthropogenic
perturbations in freshwater ecosystems using existing
Type of instruction
Lectures supplemented with project work, workshops, presentation
seminars, lab tests, and field work.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS project module, the workload is expected to
be 150 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Limnology|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
Individual oral or written exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination