Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module builds on knowledge gained in the course modules:
Structural Mechanics and Dynamics and Material Modelling in Civil
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
Students who complete the module:
- Have a general overview of nonlinear effects and
mechanisms in civil and structural engineering.
- Understand numerical solution schemes for nonlinear
- Understand nonlinear constitutive behaviour of granular
materials, including concrete.
- Understand numerical treatment of elastoplasticity, including
hardening, nonassociated plasticity and strain localization.
- Understand wave propagation in solids, structures and fluids
and related mechanisms, including dissipation and dispersion.
- Understand numerical solution schemes for wave
- Be able to apply the finite-element method for analysis of
nonlinear problems involving granular materials.
- Be able to apply the finite-element method for analysis of wave
propagation in solids, structures and fluids.
- Be able to analyse nonlinear and dynamic response of reinforced
concrete structures with the finite-element method.
- Use correct professional terminology.
- Be able to choose and develop strategies for numerical analysis
of problems involving nonlinear material behaviour and/or wave
propagation, including judgement of parameters and shortcomings of
- Be able to identify and apply proper numerical solution
techniques and material models for assessment of reinforced
concrete structures in the serviceability and ultimate limit
Type of instruction
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS project module, the workload is expected to
be 150 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Nonlinear and Dynamic Analysis of Civil Engineering
|Type of exam|
Individual oral exam based on portfolio work in groups.
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination