Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module builds on knowledge gained in the course modules:
Structural Mechanics and Dynamics, Risk and Reliability in
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
Students who complete the module:
- Understand the nature of wind: wind profile, mean wind, extreme
wind, turbulence, turbulence field – for applications for
structures such as buildings, bridges and wind turbines.
- Understand modelling and calculation of wind loads on civil
- Understand stochastic processes, stochastic dynamics and wind
actions on structures.
- Understand basic stochastic dynamics and its applications in
engineering, especially for wind actions.
- Be able to apply methods for stochastic dynamics for
application in engineering, especially for wind actions.
- Be able to calculate static and dynamic wind loads on
- Be able to assess cross-wind load actions such as rhythmic
vortex shedding and galloping.
- Be able to assess structures exposed to wind load in ULS and
- Be able to apply rules for wind actions in design codes.
- Be able to assess wind loads on bridges.
- Use correct professional terminology.
- Be able to model, calculate and communicate wind loads on civil
Type of instruction
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops,
presentation seminars, lab tests.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS project module, the workload is expected to
be 150 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Wind Loads on Structures|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
Individual oral or written exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination