Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module builds on knowledge gained in the course modules:
Structural Mechanics and Dynamics, Risk and Reliability in
Engineering, Fluid and Water Wave Dynamics, Coastal, Offshore and
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Understand basic functioning of wind turbines and wave energy
- Know methods for design of main structural components for wind
turbines and wave energy devices.
- Be able to assess wave energy resources and wave loads on wave
- Be able to assess load effects in structural elements in wave
energy devices, and verification for ULS and fatigue limit
- Be able to assess correlation between wind wave and current,
incl. weather windows.
- Be able to apply methods for verification of sufficient
reliability of wind turbines.
- Be able to apply basic aerodynamics, aeroelasticity and
rotordynamics for wind turbines.
- Be able to assess wind energy resources.
- Be able to assess load effects in structural elements in wind
turbines, and verification for ULS and fatigue during operation and
- Use correct professional terminology.
- Be able to understand and communicate basic design problems for
wind turbines and wave energy devices.
Type of instruction
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops,
presentation seminars, lab tests.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS project module, the workload is expected to
be 150 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Renewable Energy Structures: Wind Turbines and Wave Energy
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
Individual oral or written exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
|Criteria of assessment||The criteria of assessment are stated in the Examination