Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module is based on knowledge achieved in the project module
Control systems or similar.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have insight of sampling mechanism and sampling theorem for an
- Be able to simulate the concerned digital control solution
applied to a power electronic system in an efficient and reliable
- Be able to deal with real-time issues in a systematic manner
when a digital controller is implemented for a power electronic
- Must have the knowledge of developing state-space model of
power electronic systems and their controllers
- Be able to understand and create a business case for the
automated power electronic device or system
- Be able to determine a correct sampling frequency based on the
system frequency feature analysis
- Be able toanalyse and develop controls for power electronic
systems based on derived state-space models
- Be able to handle the real-time issues of digital
implementation in a professional manner
- Be able to make a cost-benefit analysis of the automated power
electronic system or apparatus
- Be able to analyse and design a controller in a professional
- Be able to perform the real-time analysis and programming of
the designed controller
- Be able to evaluate the basic economic conditions for the
development and commissioning of systems or devices
Type of instruction
Problem based and project oriented work in project groups.
Some lectures are given in business economy to support the
objectives in this area.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 15 ECTS project module, the work load is expected
to be 450 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Automation including Power Electronics|
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
Oral examination with external examiner based on a presentation of
the project report.
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|
|Criteria of assessment||As stated in the Joint Programme Regulations.