Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module builds upon the knowledge acquired during the first two
semesters on the education.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Deep knowledge of the subject matter in the specific area of
- Evaluate the concepts, theories and methodologies applied in
the solution of the problem.
- Account for the choices made during the solution of the problem
and substantiate that these are made on a high professional
- Assess and evaluate the limitations of the concepts, theories
and methodologies applied in the solution of the problem.
- Plan, execute and report an extensive individual research
project within an agreed time frame.
- Write a well-structured project report, written with clear
arguments including the following elements:
- Develop and delimit an original formulation of the problem
- Critically explore and apply relevant theories and analytical
approaches to the problem under investigation.
- Assemble and process valid and reliable data, relevant to the
problem and sub-problems under scrutiny.
- Make a thorough, systematic, and comprehensive analysis of the
problem under investigation.
- Conduct technological development and research, and solve
complicated technical problems using scientific methods.
- Analyse and solve an actual problem of industrial relevance
through application of systematic research and development
processes, including advanced analytical, experimental, and/or
numerical methods and models.
- Work together with a manufacturing or service organisation and
to identify operations and/or supply chain management problems and
finally develop data driven and robust solutions using
- Operationalize theoretical contributions in a practical
- Compare and critically evaluate the results of the project in
relation to existing knowledge and accepted theories within the
- Consider economic or other consequences of the proposed
- Communicate a balanced view of the results and conclusions of
the project in well-organized written and oral.
Type of instruction
The student works in a company providing experience in solving
and relevant engineering tasks on a level corresponding to the
learning objectives outlined above and with a progression in the
degree of difficulty of the tasks during the period. The type of
work must allow for an academic report to be made.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 30 ECTS project module the expected workload
is 900 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Academic Internship|
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|
The student writes either a project report or a case‐based
project report within the theme of the 3rd semester of the
education; cf. “Guidelines for Project Work in an External
Organisation (Academic Internship)” laid down by the School of
Engineering and Science.