Content, progress and pedagogy of the
This project module attempt to integrate the internal
perspective from the
course “Operations Management and Productivity Improvement” with
the external perspective from the course “Outsourcing and
Procurement” – in order to create improvements in the configuration
and design of a value chain in organizations or networks of
- Account for how to integrate selected parts of operation
management and productivity theories, tools, and methods with the
aim of configuring and designing an improved value chain of a
manufacturing or service organization in practice.
- Understand the role for and the deployment of technologies
within the process of improving value chains in organizations or
networks of organizations.
- Explain how to overcome real life challenges connected to the
(re)configuration and improvement value chains in organizations or
networks of organizations.
- Show how to operationalize theoretical contributions to
- Understand how sustainability considerations can be included
the configuration, design and improvement of value
- Combine insights from the literature and theory when
configuring, designing, and improving value chains in
organizations, networks of organizations.
- Analyse the role of technologies in value chains.
- Write a well-structured project report, written with clear
arguments including the following elements:
- Develop and delimit an original formulation of the problem
- Critically explore and apply relevant theories and analytical
approaches to the problem under investigation,
- Assemble and process valid and reliable data, relevant to the
problem and sub-problems under scrutiny,
- Make a rigorous, systematic, and comprehensive analysis of the
problem under investigation.
- Evaluate of the findings and recommendations/solutions, methods
and, if relevant, considerations regarding the limitations and
generalisability of the study.
- Operationalize theoretical contributions in a practical
- Work together as a team to analyse and collect data in
connection to problems in relation to conceiving and designing a
value chain in a real life setting.
- Integrate considerations on the deployment of technologies into
the configuration, design, and improvement of the value chain of an
organization, networks of organizations or value chains.
Type of instruction
The module is carried out as group-based problem-oriented
project work. The group work is carried out as an independent work
process in which the students themselves organize and coordinate
their workload in collaboration with a supervisor. The project is
carried out in groups with normally no more than 6 members.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 15 ECTS project module the expected workload is
450 hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Configuration, Design and Improvement of Manufacturing or
Service Value Chains|
|Type of exam|
Oral exam based on a project
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||External examination|