Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
This module is based on knowledge obtained in 1st Semester
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have gained an in-depth understanding of the overall topical
area of polymers and composite materials including their
properties, manufacturing, analysis and design.
- Be able to document understanding of following concepts and
- Applications of composites: past, present and future.
- Fibers and polymer resin materials: Types and properties.
- Manufacturing methods, their processing characteristics and
influence on the mechanical properties of composites.
- Laminae and laminates: Micro-mechanical models, modeling of the
laminae, classical lamination theory (CLT).
- Thermal effects.
- Microstructural Fracture and failure
- Be able to apply concepts, theories and methods for analysis
and design of composite materials.
- Be able to characterize polymers and composite materials in
terms of various experimental techniques.
- Be able to understand the relation between processing
conditions and subsequent material properties.
- Be able to undertake development and product design using
polymers and composite materials.
- Be able to develop procedures for production and verification
of components made from polymer and composite materials.
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS course module the expected workload is 150
hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Polymers and Composite Materials|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Type of grading||Internal examination|