Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module adds to the knowledge obtained in 1st Semester.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
- Have gained an in-depth understanding of the overall topical
area of composite materials including their properties,
manufacturing, analysis and design.
- Be able to document understanding of the following concepts and
- Applications of composites.
- Fibers and polymer resin materials: Types and properties.
- Manufacturing methods, their processing characteristics and
influence on the mechanical properties of composites.
- Laminae and laminates: Micro-mechanical models, modeling of the
laminae, classical lamination theory (CLT).
- Analysis of composite structures: Beam, plate and shell
- Thermal effects.
- Fracture and failure.
- Sandwich structures.
- Adhesive bonded and mechanical joints, load introduction
aspects, 3D effects and general principles for design.
- Finite element analysis of laminated composite
- Be able to apply concepts, theories and methods for analysis
and design of composite materials and complex structures made from
composite materials to real-life problems.
- Be able to undertake development and product design using
- Be able to develop procedures for production and verification
of components made from composite materials.
Type of instruction
The teaching is organized in accordance with the general form of
teaching. Please see the programme cirruculum §17.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS course module the expected workload is 150
hours for the student.
|Name of exam||Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures|
|Type of exam|
Written or oral exam
|Assessment||7-point grading scale|
|Type of grading||Internal examination|