Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module adds to the knowledge obtained in the first three
semesters of the master programme.
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
Students who complete the module:
- Have knowledge and comprehension within the field of the
specialization at the highest international level.
- Be able to critically evaluate knowledge and identify new
scientific problems within the field of the specialization.
- Have understanding of implications within the related research
area including research ethics.
- Independently explain choice of scientific theoretical and/or
- During the project and when finalising it make an independent
and critical estimation of the chosen theories and methods as well
as the analyses, results and conclusions.
- Be able to apply a wide range of engineering methods in
research and development in the field of specialization.
- Be able to communicate relevant scientific and professional
aspects of project work in a clear and systematic way both to
specialists and the public.
- Be able to work independently with a project on a specific
problem within the field of the specialization at the highest
- Independently be able to define and analyse scientific problems
and based on that make and state the reasons for the decisions
- Be competent to solve new and complicated technical problems by
the use of advanced mathematics, scientific and technological
- Be able to evaluate the progress of the project independently
and select and include additional literature, experiments or data
when needed in order to maintain a scientific basis for the
- Be able to control complex and unexpected working situations
and be able to develop new solutions.
- Must be able to communicate the results of the project work in
a project report.
Type of instruction
Project work with supervision supplemented with instructions,
workshops, presentation seminars, lab tests, etc.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 30 ECTS project module, the workload is
expected to be 900 hours for the student.