Prerequisite/Recommended prerequisite for
participation in the module
The module builds on knowledge gained in Material Modelling in
Content, progress and pedagogy of the
Students who complete the module:
- Must know how to interpret and determinate geotechnical design
parameters based on cone penetration tests, and advanced laboratory
tests (oedometer and triaxial tests).
- Must have knowledge about upper and lower bound method.
- Must have knowledge about deformations calculation of
- Must have knowledge about design of vertically and horizontally
loaded piles and pile groups.
- Must have knowledge about constitutive models for soil and
calibration of these models from relevant laboratory tests.
- Must have knowledge about numerical methods (FEM-based).
- Must know how to analyse geotechnical structures using FEM
based methods, e.g deep excavations or temporary geotechnical
- Must be able to design and interpret advanced in-situ and
laboratory test programs.
- Must be able to explain and use advanced constitutive models
used to model soil response.
- Must be able to design vertical and horizontal loaded piles and
- Must be able to analyse geotechnical structures using FEM based
methods, e.g. deep excavations or temporary geotechnical
- Be able to participate in dialog on modelling of advanced soil
- Be able to model, calculate, communicate and performe advanced
numerical analysis of geotechnical structures.
- Application of proper terminology in oral, written and
graphical communication and documentation within Soil
Type of instruction
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops,
presentation seminars, lab tests.
Extent and expected workload
Since it is a 5 ECTS project module, the workload is expected to
be 150 hours for the student.