Modulets indhold, forløb og pædagogik
Students who complete the module:
- Must have knowledge about fluid kinematics.
- Must have knowledge about stresses in fluids, equation of
motion, constitutive models and Navier-Stokes equations.
- Must have knowledge about ideal fluids and potential flows,
including application of potential theory to simple problems for
example circular cylinder and calculation of hydrodynamic
- Must have knowledge and understanding of Reynolds averaging and
- Must be able to describe turbulent and laminar boundary layers
including understanding of momentum equation for boundary
- Must be able to describe wind generated waves.
- Must understand the application of potential theory to linear
surface waves on a horizontal bed, including description and
linearisation of boundary conditions, solving Laplace equation and
the dispersion equation.
- Kinematic and dynamic description of linear surface waves,
including particle velocities and accelerations, pressure field,
particle paths, wave energy, energy flux and group velocity.
- Description of waves in shallow water, i.e. shoaling,
refraction, diffraction and wave breaking.
- Statistical description of waves in time and frequency
- Must be able to describe assumptions and limitations of
mathematical models for different types of flows.
- Must be able to apply analytical and semi-empirical methods for
mathematical description of fluid dynamic problems.
- Must be able to calculate of kinematics and dynamics of regular
linear waves on deep and shallow water.
- Must be able to analyse irregular waves in time and frequency
- Must be able to apply proper terminology in oral, written and
graphical communication and documentation within fluid and water
Lectures, etc. supplemented with project work, workshops,
presentation seminars, lab tests.
Omfang og forventet arbejdsindsats
The module is 5 ECTS which is corresponding to 150 hours of